Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Fox and the Crow

A quick evening walk into the woods and out onto the Pit Tip at dusk produced very little. It was a bit late on really. Only the typical small birds were around in the woods, although I'm pretty sure I heard a Pheasant calling. As I climbed the path back up to Hanging Heath a Sparrowhawk flew out of the woods, heading in the direction of the Pit Tip.

As I was leaving the woods, a Song Thrush was singing in the tops of trees where I typically hear one. I managed some brief views before it flew away to the scrub at the edge of the Pit Tip. It was almost dusk and there was barely any activity, but before turning around to walk home, I picked up a Skylark ascending over the Pit Tip Grassland whilst I was watching some Carrion Crow go to roost. A couple of Carrion Crow in the trees were causing a commotion as I neared the woods on my way back. It was pretty dark, but I could just make out another on the ground flapping about. It looked as if it was in distress, and I watched it get lower and lower to the ground. Moving closer, I realized it was being pulled head first into a hole - probably by a local Fox. It appeared to be an adult, so I was quite surprised that it was taken by a Fox. Eventually it stopped flapping about, and all I could see was its tail poking out of the hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment