Monday, April 09, 2007

Pheasants Everywhere!

This evening I took a late walk up to Lamin's Lane in the hope of an Owl. I've heard there's a Little Owl here and probably Tawny Owl too, if the three nest boxes are anything to go by. The area certainly seems right for them. As I entered the woods a Jay caught sight of me and flew down into Ted Heath, but conveniently landed on an open branch, allowing me a nice view - amazing colours, particularly at this time of year.

The woods were relatively quiet this evening, with nothing but the absolutely common birds to be seen, save for a Song Thrush in Big Wood School Field and another around the Three Ponds. At the start of Lamin's Lane, yet another Song Thrush was showcasing his varied vocals from the large tree that overhangs the main track. A Kestrel caught my eye, hovering over the back of Bestwood Quarry in search of supper, and two further sightings later were probably the same bird; with one over Lamin's Plantation [sic] and the other over towards Mansfield Road.

There was no activity around any of the three Owl boxes, but the number of Pheasant around made me feel a little ashamed it took me so long to patch tick them - they were everywhere! They were calling in one field, then in the next, running about through the hedges. Judging from the frequency and location of the calls and sightings I'd say there had to have been 10-20, in all. One male was parading a group of three females in the fallow field, another two males were "fighting" it out in the plantation, and at dusk one was on top of a large heap of manure calling for some female attention.

I saw one bird that I failed to identify, which flew low over the edge of the fallow field after a nearby gunshot. Using the hedge as cover, it then lifted up over the hedge at the far side. The bird looked greyish brown in the fading light, it was roughly Lapwing-sized, but shaped similar to a Nightjar. Its flight was a combination of wingbeats and glides, with pointed wings and a slightly fanned tail, reminiscent to a female Kestrel. At the time I thought it might be a Cuckoo, but I don't think it's very likely, as I don't think they've started to arrive yet. Chances are, it was something more common - perhaps even a female Pheasant.

No sign of the Golden Plover today, but three Lapwing were sat in the ploughed field, remaining still at all times. Maybe it was the nearby shooting that was going on all evening - new to me, but they're probably used to it by now. As the light faded, I kept my eyes peeled for Owls, but there were no obvious signs. The woods were bright enough to find my way home easily, but all the birds were already gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment