Friday, May 11, 2007

An Evening in the Rain

A Garganey had been reported at the Mill Lakes by lunchtime, and despite the fact I should have been working, I couldn't pass up the opportunity of another lifer on my local patch, so I told myself that I'd go in the evening if I managed to get enough work done that day. By the end of the day (well 6pm), my work had gone well, so I quickly packed my things and headed off (although I'd have probably convinced myself to go either way!).

As I set off there was a little light rain, nothing to worry about, but enough to warrant waterproofs. Due to the rain, I didn't bother to stop and look at anything on the way there, and by the time I reached the Mill Lakes, the rain was quite heavy. A large group of House Martin and Barn Swallow were swarming over the trees and surface of the water, feeding on all the flies. I had a quick look over the Reedbed, but all it produced was a pair of wet and misted bins. After doing my best to dry them out enough to see through, I knew I'd have a tough time seeing much; but I ploughed on regardless.

Moving around the near side of the lake produced at least one male Ruddy Duck in summer plumage with reasonable views, despite the rain. A pair of Gadwall were the first of the year for me, and at the northern end of the lake, just south of Mud Island was a stunning male Garganey. Even in the rain, this bird looked great. I chanced some video footage in the rain as it paddled off towards the islands in the middle.There wasn't much point in staying after it disappeared from view: It was getting dark, and I was already soaked. I headed for the warmth of home, and the comfort of dry clothes and a cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment