Saturday, January 12, 2008

This morning I headed around the woodland and got some footage of a male Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming in an oak tree near the Triangle. A Nuthatch was in this area too, but didn't show well. Nearer the Three Ponds a tit flock was moving through, and three Goldcrest and a Treecreeper were amongst them. I had a look around Bestwood Lodge Gardens, but it was quiet, so I moved on.



I headed to Moira Plantation, which is an area that I'm not very familiar with, and have never visited out of summer. A male Pheasant flushed from the path and flew across the farmer's field to the wood at the other side. Also along the path were a Wren and two Dunnock, with a single Jay in the trees. Looking out over the fallow farmer's field at the top, I picked out a few Mistle Thrush moving, and got a bit of footage. Whilst surveying the trees and hedgerows in the distance, a handful of Fieldfare and Redwing flew in to join the Mistle Thrush. There were large numbers of small birds in the hedgerow at the far side and feeding in the field, but too far to identify. However, a small group of Goldfinch were doing the same thing from the hedgerow near me, so that would have been my best guess.

Heading over to the Pit Tip, I picked up the Treecreeper again in the same area, two Jay were at Ted Heath, and another Nuthatch was at the start of Front Line. A single Cormorant was over high, heading towards Mill Lakes, and a Grey Heron flew over from that direction to Warren Hill. A group of twelve Great Black-backed Gull were over to the north of the Pit Tip, heading WNW. I finished the morning off with another year tick, with a male Reed Bunting that was calling from the top of a tree to alongside the Pit Tip Plantation.

No comments:

Post a Comment