Monday, October 05, 2009

Stonechat

Spent the day volunteering with the rangers. Before starting I walked around the Pit Tip Plantation and had a flock of at least 195 Goldfinch feeding in alder near the Pit Tip Pond. At lunchtime there was a singing male Chiffchaff at the entrance to the Quarry. At the end of the day I walked around the Pit Tip again and had three Stock Dove drinking at the Pit Tip Pond, then Steve called to say he'd just got onto a Stonechat that Norman had found near Dawson's Corner Conservation Area, so I legged it down there to connect with the bird. I could make it out at distance, but it flushed as I got nearer. Steve left, and I waited it out in the grass opposite the fence where it was last seen. After around five minutes it reappeared - a female or first winter male - and I managed some decent photos, before leaving as the sun was setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment