Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Plenty of Goldcrests

Today was overcast, and I took a short walk in the woods. Behind the houses in Warren Hill. I saw a Jay in the path and a group of Chaffinch at the edge of Big Wood School Field. Two Great Spotted Woodpecker were in the trees there: the first was probably a female with its black head stripe, but the view was not so great; and the second was a male. A few Coal Tit were seen in the hedges that border the park on the way to the Three Ponds.

I headed on towards the Three Ponds and found more Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Nuthatch. Also, a couple of Goldcrest were at the main gravel track area. I walked down the track and up First Valley which showed more Goldcrest, but I had trouble getting close enough for decent footage [as you can see]. In total, I recorded 18 species in the woods, which isn't too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment