Friday, June 22, 2007

An Early Sunrise Walk

This morning was the joint longest day of the year with dawn before 4am, so I was up early for a walk to the Mill Lakes. Several Skylark were singing over the Pit Tip and a couple were perched on the scrub too. At the bottom of the hill a Meadow Pipit was perched on a fence post of farmer Fox's Cow Field, near the gates, showing well soon after sunrise. A Cinnabar moth was seen by the wooden bridge at Dawson's Corner, where both Common Whitethroat and Wren were competing in song. A male Greenfinch was singing from a TV aerial by the footbridge entrance to the Mill Lakes.

The Reedbed Boardwalk gave close views of a female Reed Bunting collecting food and visiting a probable nest site at the edge of the reeds. She emerged again, allowing some reasonable footage in the nearby tree. The back ride produced very little activity with the odd Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, and the four common tits (including juveniles), but nothing more interesting and certainly no sight or sound of Turtle Dove, which had been reported recently.

At the northern end of the lake, I scanned Mud Island for anything of interest. Something nearer the bank caught my attention, but it was partially obscured behind a willow branch. Adjusting my view, I got my long-awaited view of a perched Kingfisher, fishing from an old fence post or branch angled out of the water. I got the camera ready and adjusted my position for a better view. The distance and intermediate willow made posed a problem, but I managed some record-quality footage.

The first thing to attract my attention on ascending the Railway Embankment was a Red Fox coming towards me along the Railway Track. Before getting close enough for footage, it was harassed by two Magpie and driven into the scrub. At least six Stock Dove were grazing on the Golf Course with Woodpigeon and a pair of Common Pheasant. The rain was creeping in, and I had just an hour to get home, so I headed back.

The rain made for plenty of activity in the willows along the north-east side, with good views of a male Blackcap and reasonable views of several other warbler species, and a nice juvenile Long-tailed Tit. Some of the warblers may have been Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff or juvenile Blackcap, but I couldn't be certain as nothing would stay still for long enough. There was at least one possible Reed Warbler with a yellowish bill and dark legs, but still not enough to be certain.

Rushing home I only managed one more notable sighting - a Song Thrush was perched on one of the concrete fence posts at the back of the industrial estate along the Sustrans path, singing and in good view. Despite being caught in the rain (yet again), it was a very pleasant morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment