Monday, July 16, 2007

The 'Monday Volunteer'

Today I did some volunteer work in the park at the organized 'Monday Volunteers' event. Despite the good weather today, last night's thunderstorm probably put others off, as I was the only volunteer. I spent the morning with Sue - the ranger - clearing nettles and thistles from the boardwalk of the Dipping Ponds, where I learnt the difference between ferns and bracken, and saw my first Large Yellow Underwing moth. I had my lunch on the picnic table in the garden of Alexandra Lodge, where I watched a couple of different butterflies, including Red Admiral and one of the two Heath species, probably Small Heath, as the other is uncommon in Nottinghamshire. A pair of Woodpigeon were nest building close by, a Wren had a quick look in, a Song Thrush was sat in a nearby tree, and a group of 16 Black-headed Gull flew over heading SSE.

In the afternoon Sue and I were joined by another ranger - Jon, who helped us cut back the growth from the base of a lime tree near the Bestwood Lodge Drive car park. When we were done, there was one last job for the day... dispose of a lovely damp and smelly double mattress, kindly dumped by some idiot. After that I decided to do some real birding in the glorious afternoon sun.

Heading into the entrance of Bestwood Quarry, I noted a Greenfinch and two Goldfinch in the hedgerow by the stables. A few other finches were flying over, possible Linnet, but only silhouettes to go by. As I walked down the verge, a Sparrowhawk was soaring over the back of the quarry - the first I've seen in a while now. Nearing the infamous bend, a Lesser Whitethroat popped out of the scrub and perched to give great views in the afternoon sunshine.

Around the corner a few distant Stock Dove flushed, and continued to do so throughout my walk. I glimpsed some movement at the top of the scrub and connected with a male Linnet. More movement produced three birds, a pair with a single - possibly a juvenile. I also noted a Common Whitethroat, before moving on to ascend the sandy bank. On the way up, I had my first sightings on some grasshopper/cricket species, which I'd been hearing all around the quarry. Two small blueish coloured insects were sunbathing on a stone about halfway up - I might try to ID them at some point.

Absolutely nothing to be seen at the top, but I noted that the ever-increasing green border fence had reached here, thus preventing anyone from venturing into the wood by Mushroom Farm, and keeping me from seeing the Weasel again. I can't complain, as it's probably private land. On the main path back down, I flushed a Green Woodpecker from feeding in the grassy area - it's becoming predictable! By the entrance, a male Linnet was singing from one of the overhead wires in the adjacent horse paddock, and attracted two females: the first flew off only to be replaced by another, but that one didn't stay either. To finish the day off, a pair of Grey Partridge were feeding in amongst a group of Starling in the horse paddock - I'm still waiting for those red-legged though!

No comments:

Post a Comment