Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Possible Stonechat

Last night, a report of Stonechat on the Pit Tip Top appeared on Notts Birders' Sightings web page, so after arriving home from work early, I went for a quick look. Just as I was walking out onto the Pit Tip another birder - that I'd not met before - was just leaving. He'd seen a male and female Stonechat here over the past a few days, but had only confirmed it the day before. He said he'd not seen them this evening, but that they had always been on the Grassland area perched on the protruding scrub.

When I got up onto the highest point of the Pit Tip Top, I immediately connected with a bird that looked good for a Stonechat. The weather and light was good, but unfortunately, it was difficult to get close enough to the bird for a good view. The general shape and behaviour were good, and I could make out the orangey breast, white wing panel and collar, and a dark eye stripe. Although I think the bird was probably a first winter male, the latter feature - combined with the fact it was distant views - has justified a tentative ID.

When I left at 5:30pm, it was still showing on the Grassland between the highest point and the western side of the main Plantation. I'm hoping to get better views in the morning, before work.

No comments:

Post a Comment