Saturday, October 06, 2007

Eyes on the Feeding Station

A relatively quiet morning began with a Tawny Owl heard from Dawson's Corner, as it called from the trees along Moor Road. I only managed a fleeting glance of its silhouette as it flew off when I got close enough.

The north end of the Mill Lakes was of the most interest today. From the end of the Peninsula I had three or four Teal around Mud Island, and seven Common Snipe were on the south side before they paraded around to the western side of the island. A single Little Grebe was around the bank of the island to the south west of the Peninsula and nearby there was a lethargic looking group of six Shoveler. Interestingly, I didn't see any Gadwall today.

The Leen Pastures Feeding Station looked as if it had been restocked, and despite being rather empty, attracted the attention of a Wren, a Robin, a Dunnock, numerous Great Tit and Chaffinch, and a Grey Squirrel. As I was heading home, I met a new birder called Mick near the Vehicle Bridge, who'd just seen the Grey Wagtail. I shared a few of my interesting sightings with him and passed on the information about the best areas to see Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, which he was interested in tracking down. Just before I left, I caught sight of the Kingfisher as it flew over the lake from near the Vehicle Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment