Sunday, March 30, 2008

Greylag on a Heron's Nest

Good weather had been forecast for the morning, but I couldn't get out for a morning's walk. Instead, the whole family went for a walk around the Mill Lakes - a little later than my usual visits! No Snipe were obvious from the end of the Peninsula, but a pair of Teal were resting on the far bank. One or more Great Crested Grebe were looking their part in breeding plumage.

My first Chiffchaff of the year was singing in the woodland between the Back Ride and the Railway Embankment. I chatted to a couple of bird watchers from Hucknall who were watching the Heron nests, but there weren't any actually on the nest. However, one of the nests did have something in... it was the white domestic-type Greylag Goose! Just before we left, I did catch sight of one Grey Heron, but it was fishing in the reeds - hopefully it won't be out-psyched by the Greylag.

No comments:

Post a Comment