Monday, March 17, 2008

Good Views of a Meadow Pipit

Pre-work walks are starting to get easier as it's light by 6am, and that gives me about two hours of birding before I haul myself into the city centre. This morning I focussed on the Pit Tip with a view to covering the valley near Ted Heath. I was hoping for some more early migrants, but - surprisingly - there wasn't much about.

Most notable on the Pit Tip were a single adult Lesser Black-backed Gull over to the north, at least four active Skylark, including two singing males, and my best ever views of Meadow Pipit. It was perched on a fence post, calling at the edge of the Pit Tip Top, then flew off to the north, and was joined by another over the cow field. A Green Woodpecker was calling regularly and frequently from the Pit Tip Plantation, probably trying to attract a mate.

A single Jay was screeching near Shopping Trolley Pond, and a male Great Spotted Woodpecker was drumming in the valley near Ted Heath. A Song Thrush was also singing in the valley and a single Coal Tit was feeding in a yew nearby, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment