Monday, November 10, 2008

Floody Patch Ticking

I debated whether or not to make a trek to the Mill Lakes before work this morning. Now that there's so little light, it doesn't allow for much pre-work birding time. The recent rainfall had me hoping to find something interesting, so I made the effort and was duly rewarded with a patch tick. On the way there, a single Fieldfare was in a hedgerow at Dawson's Corner, and the regular Redwing group were both there, and along the Sustrans Path too.

When I arrived at the lake, the water levels were the highest I'd seen in a good while. I gave it a quick scan from alongside the Vehicle Bridge, and picked out what seemed to be a sawbill with a smaller grebe-like bird close to the far bank's small peninsula. Gripped with a mild excitement, I headed quickly to the Dipping Ponds viewpoint where the bird would be visible near the adjacent bank. Some reasonable scope views confirmed it as a red-headed Goosander, my first for the park (and for the year too!). Also present was a single eclipse male Pochard.

The Goosander was moving towards the southern end of the lake, but also heading towards the nearside bank, so I made my way back to the Vehicle Bridge to gain a better view. At first, there was no sign when I got there, but then I came out from behind some overhanging trees just 15-20 meters from where I was. I got the scope on it for some great views, confirming it was an eclipse male, rather than female, before I and started to snap some shots with the phone. By this point it had become aware of my presence and was determined not to let me get a focussed image by heading back towards the far bank. Then it had a change of heart and took flight, heading south, past me, and over the Vehicle Bridge low over the Leen. It looked as if it might have settled on the river alongside the Reedbed, but it was out of view by then. In flight, it's large white wing patched were more obvious. As all the photos came out blurred, I made some sketches instead; something I should do more often, as I need the practice!

The notes with the sketches read:
  • hooked bill (x2)
  • rusty colouring on head
  • pale/white breast
  • mottled grey flanks
  • dark tail
  • longer neck than this! (drawing error)
  • large obvious white panels on wings
  • sketch from Collins (for comparison/colour test)
  • Eclipse Male Goosander
  • Mill Lakes 10/11/2008
Also on the lake were two Great Crested Grebe together at the western side, two Cormorant flying low over the water at the southern end (probably departing from Tern Island), and about 25 Black-headed Gull in the middle part of the lake. The usual Siskin flock was in its twenties feeding in the alders, and a single Water Rail was seen close to the wooded area on the north-west bank by Mud Island.

A hurried walk home via Broad Valley Stables and the woodland produced two Mistle Thrush on the overhead wires at Parkside Pasture, and a Green Woodpecker flying over to the top of a tree behind The Rectory, which suggests some birds seen on the Pit Tip Top may be the same as those seen at Bestwood Quarry. The Wildlife Garden's feeders had visits from both Coal Tit and a Nuthatch, along with the more regular Blue Tit, Great Tit and Chaffinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment