Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Wave of Redwings

This morning I headed out for a walk out to Lamin's Lane, although the conditions were pretty dismal. It was dark, misty, with a light rain when I set off, and the same when I got to Lamin's Lane. Most of the fields were still cropped, so I couldn't make out any birds in them, including the Golden Plover, which were meant to be around. Two Meadow Pipit heard calling and flying between fields were the first birds of any note. A couple of Fieldfare flew over towards the very back corner of Bestwood Quarry, and that was about it... until a large flock of Redwing flew over heading west in an elongated wave-like formation. I quickly counted/estimated around 350 birds, which is the most I've ever seen together by quite a way, so that made my morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment