Sunday, November 26, 2006

A Short Walk, a Short List

I took an hour's walk around Big Wood, starting down at Hanging Heath seeing some Woodpigeon and four Jay. I headed up a trail at the other side of the main path, which was quiet for a while and then a couple of Long-tailed Tit appeared. A falcon species caught my eye flying over, but it was only a short view and the light was bad (the sun was too low). It looked big enough to be a Peregrine and had a whitish underneath, but chances are it was a Kestrel.

Further on a possible Sparrowhawk caught my eye flying away from me in the trees, so I followed its general direction (up a horse trail) in hope of a better view. After re-sighting it flying away from me again, I didn't relocate it, and the view wasn't good enough for an ID. Further along the horse trail a Great Tit was calling and in came several others from various directions, a few Blue Tit and a single Wren were also drawn out.

After joining a main footpath again I stopped at a point before it joined onto the Woodman's Path. Here there were a single Dunnock, a Robin, more Blue Tit and Great Tit and a pair of Chaffinch. Then I followed the Woodman's path back to the Triangle. Near the garden that's next to Big Wood School Field I caught sight of a Great Spotted Woodpecker, another pair of Chaffinch, more Blue Tit and Great Tit and a single Blackbird.

A nice quiet walk in the bright sunny weather, but only 14 species to show for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment