Thursday, November 09, 2006

Woodland in Autumn - Blue, Gold and Green?

A short, but pleasant, morning walk in the bright sun showed just 10 species, but plenty of interesting colours. On entering the woods I turned right and heading towards the Triangle seeing a Nuthatch almost immediately. Then I headed down into Ted Heath. It was quite quiet, but I did see the a Wren on the way down and the usual Great Tit flock with some Blue Tit. Two Robin were chasing each other around down there too.

Heading up the north side to the main path showed some Goldcrest and then I had reasonable views of Great Spotted Woodpecker. Whilst at the same spot I saw my first Green Woodpecker in the actual woodland - normally I only ever see them on the Pit Tip or around the edge of the woodland. At the point I met the Woodman's Path a Dunnock was showing well at the top of a bush. I followed Woodman's Path back around to Big Wood School Field to pick up a Jay before heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment